Wednesday 9 November 2016

Is the Lord's hand shortened?

Donald Trump is the next president of the United States of America.

People have been worrying, cheering, campaigning, tweeting, sharing, writing, posting, commenting, debating, and waiting for months, and now the votes are in.

Today, I woke up in a world where a demonstrably racist, sexist, greedy, criminal man is the leader of one of the world’s greatest powers.

But, you know what?

I also woke up in a world where I know the God who created it. And He is in control.

So, what is my response to the decision of the next commander-in-chief of the USA?

I refuse to be shaken by it.

Donald Trump is moving into the White House, but he is not taking over the Throne. That belongs to Jesus – yesterday, today, and forever.

Today, I continue with renewed passion and vigor to live out my calling. To “do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with my God” (Micah 6:8). To “go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19). To “love the Lord with all [my] heart and with all [my] soul and with all [my] mind… and to love [my] neighbour as [myself]” (Matthew 22:37-39).

Today, I will continue the work that I do every day on alongside the hurt, the broken, and the vulnerable.

Will that work, and life, be different now that Trump is president? Probably. How, specifically? I don’t know. Does worrying about that help anyone? Nope.

I am reminded of the ancient words documented in the Biblical book of Numbers. God had led the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, into a long journey in the desert. Their leader, Moses, was terrified about what was to come, and cried out to God.

The answer, short and simple, was, “Is the LORD’s hand shortened? Now you shall see whether my word will come true for you or not” (Numbers 11:23).

To those who have been hurt by the election, I am sorry. There have been tongue-lashings so harsh, rhetoric so distasteful, and divisions so deep that I cannot see how they will be repaired. I grieve with you.


But rest assured: the Lord’s hand is not shortened. He is still sovereign, and He is not afraid of any president, of any country, past, present, or future. He’s got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment